Friday, May 6, 2016

...then another entry after so long

Okay, I have to admit that I am a person of less focus. Sometimes I can be so focused (like updating my blogs with poems and photos almost every week) and then I become completely out-of-focus and do not even have the passion to write. Well, I do love to write, especially about life and feelings and deep-thoughts, but that usually have to happen at my low times; and since I can write this with ease, I guess I am at my low. Well, life is a roller coaster ride. One day you are on the top of the world, the next day you could be crawling on your four extremities. But no matter what, life goes on, and we also must move, even with the speed of a snail.

The question now is, "What do I want to with my life?" Well, I know for sure that I want to leave a legacy to the world. The problem is, I somehow am lost in what I am doing. You see, I used to be an M.D., treating people in a not-so-remote island. It used to give me joy. Then I felt to want to see the world, to leave the cradle that was so comfortable. I did it, and I spend my five years as a post-grad student in a faraway country. The first and second year were the honeymoon periods, and then the confusion and frustration kicked in. Still, I believe it was part of a process; after all all post-grad students feel that they are in the low of their life. Now, it has been a year since my graduation, but I still think I am lost. The feeling that I am not doing the right thing still lingers. Sure, it is nice to work in a respected university with the state-of-the-art technology: I am working with a portable sequencer that is hailed to be the next generation in DNA sequencing. Yet, there is something missing; it is like I have lost the human touch. Working in a laboratory with cold robotic people around you tends to dull your empathy. And until I can find the human touch again, I guess I would always be feeling lost. Eventually, the purpose of what I am doing is to make the world a better place, and that would be useless if it was only the world, but not the people living in it. I do believe that there is nothing wrong with the path that I chose, it is just I need to cherish it with laughter and emotion, just when I was a physician back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment